Monday, May 7, 2012

How do I disable an integrated video card on a HP Pavilion a810n?

I've tried everything from the BIOS, disabling the display from the device manager, uninstalling the drivers from the integrated video card, to contacting HP and not even HP could give me the right answer. I went into the BIOS and selected PCI (that is the new video card I'm trying to install) but when booting the computer with the new video card inserted I get no image/display. I also removed the jumpers from the motherboard but that didn't help either. Is there anything else left to do? Thanks.|||I did a quick search on google and saw a lot of posts blaming the power supply of the Pavilion A810N. They said it has just enough to power the current system, but once you add a video card to mix... it just can't cut it. If your PSU is really 250W, you really should look at replacing it with a newer, better one.



From the link below, this is one of the posts I mentioned.

Scottinindy:

"I bought the a810n also. A couple of things. It runs in energy star mode by default. Hence the 1.8 reading instead of 2.4, Go into power management and change to always on and you will run the full 2.4. ( It is supposed to kick up automatically when the extra CPU power is needed when in energy star mode).

If you are still using the power supply that came stock with the computer. ( HiPro 250 watt). You should seriously consider upgrading the power supply. 250 watts is the bare minimum for the system. With the DVD burner and the power the athlon processor eats, It leaves very little extra power for graphics cards. I upgraded to a 450 watt PSU. Installed an extra 512 of ram, Installed an MSI 6600 Gt video card and chaintech 7.1 sound card. And the system runs very well. If you are using the stock PSU, I don't think your video card will ever give you the results you want until you upgrade the PSU.

Good luck."|||You can try to go manually disable it by doing this:



Start > right click on my computer > Properties > Hardware> device Manager > select your intergrated card with "1" click of the mouse and right click on the device and choose to disable the device.|||there has to be a bios setting to diable the integrated video, it may be in the integrated devices section or another section but there shoulf be one....if there isnt and you are sure you may need to get a bios update for your machine that my give you that option, couldnt hurt...

No comments:

Post a Comment