Monday, May 7, 2012

Tool to easily switch from an integrated video card, to external, then back again?

To be a little more specific, i have a Dell Dimension 3100, it is an old computer that still runs off of PCI (NOT PCI-E) video cards. It came with a stock integrated intel video card, however i purchased a Nvidea 8500GT (PCI version) for it.



The video card is great and all, it gave me an amazing performance and graphics boost on my other games, however, one game (World of Warcraft) apparently is not PCI bandwidth friendly. Switching video cards actually dramatically decreased my performance in WoW.



I whent on the support forums, and they told me its just because of the way WoW is designed, and how it uses very old methods to run.



To switch from my video card back to integrated, i have to

A) Disable my video card

B) Power down my computer

C) Un-install my video card

D) Move my monitor's output cord from the external drive to the integrated slot

E) Power back up



Then do the same thing again when i want to switch back to my video card.



Is there a program that will allow me to switch from integrated to my external, and back again easily. Meaning, without having to uninstall my video card



Thanks for any help you can provide.|||The answer is no.

What normally happens is that when you fit a PCI VGA card into the slot it will disable the on board VGA.



You could try the following, although I have never had reason to try this myself.

When you want to use the on board VGA, disable the PCI card from device manager. My feeling is that it won't work, but may be worth a try.



There's not much else you can do as this system only has PCI & one PCIE x1



The full spec is here:



http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edo…|||I have searched for this exact thing for a long time and i havent found it.. i can tell you that you dont need to disable the card before you take it out. i just take mine out, switch the monitor cord, and start it back up. there is a program that allows you to switch between video cards but not from integrated to on-board|||that seems like a lot of work just to play wow...personally i would get a new pc or build one to play the medium to high end games and be done with it....there is no software to switch back and forth like that....its either one or the other....



Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment