Monday, May 7, 2012

Integrated video card can use RAM as VIDEO MEMORY?

I want to know more about my video card(Intel integrated Extreme Graphics 2 [circa 2003]) cause I don't understand, I tried googling for a while with no result:



1) How much exactly video memory does it have?



2) I heard that if it's integrated, I can go to the BIOS and make RAM be shared with my video memory in case my video ram isn't enough? is that true? is that true with my integrated card too?



3) I'm of course going to buy a video card(AGP type) capable of handling at least pixel shader 2.0. If question2 is "Yes", can the new graphic card also be shared to use RAM if neccesary?



Depending if my integrated video card can use RAM as video memory, this will help me decide whether I should get more RAM or an AGP video card that has a lot of video ram



I can't test the BIOS because I just ordered the old desktop and it will take a while to come:

Compaq EVO D510 CMT

Windows XP Professional

Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz Single Core

512MB(768RAM) 80GBHDD AGP Slot

integrated card Extreme Graphics 2 (circa 2003)

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quick…



if anyone should know, I have a powerfull laptop already and I don't want to kill it by hours of basic stuff this old desktop can do...|||1) 0MBs itself. It shares (ie steals) system RAM

2) You can change the amount of RAM is steals, but this has virtually no impact on the video performance.

3) No. And you wouldn't want it to. Sharing RAM is a bad thing. It's slow and inefficient.|||Yes. Any "integrated" video card (that's built into the mother board) will share the computer's RAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment