Thursday, April 26, 2012

What video card should I get for using my monitor as a TV?

Computer specs: Dell Dimension 4700, 1GB RAM, 3.0GHz CPU, 160GB HD, WinXP Pro, DVD-ROM drive, PCI-Express.



Neither me nor my future wife EVER watch television, just movies, so we don't want to get a TV when we get married in a couple of months. We just want to get a good setup for watching DVDs on the computer.



Right now, I just have the Intel integrated video card which is VGA-only, and the quality on the DVDs isn't so great. Dark colors are washed-out, sometimes the video skips to catch up, etc. I have a 17" Dell Ultrasharp 1704 LCD digital-ready monitor (though I think we'll be getting a 20" widescreen because everything we watch is widescreen).



I want a video card that works well for watching DVDs and DivX files. I don't play any PC games so it doesn't need to be a super high-end card. I just want the cheapest card I can find that does what I need... Could I do something as inexpensive as a Radeon X300, or do I need something like a GeForce 6600, or something even better?|||I like ATI products.



ATI.com



Coach|||There is a site call tigerdirect.com, it has very inexpensive video cards. What is the resoultion set at on your computer? that may have somting to do with the problem. Get a video ccard with DVI (only if you monitor has it).|||if you have money to burn

get a 8800GTS (450 bucks or so)

newest Direct X 10

high defs

or get a Geforce Quadro FX4500

extreme good 3d rendering





if not, get a Geforce 7600 GS

No comments:

Post a Comment